Our team is seeking a Business Environmental Leader (BEL) for Latin America who will support the Amazon operations in Mexico and Brasil. This role is responsible to provide technical support, tactical execution, and deliver a strategy for future expansion in an ambiguous, fast-paced environment across multiple facilities across Mexico. This role will be based Mexico City Area. You will report through the North America Environmental Assurance and Protection (EAP) team to partner with the Amazon Latin America operations leadership teams for execution of company environmental compliance procedures to ensure compliance with all applicable country/location specific Federal, State/Provincial and local laws & regulations. This includes strategic direction and review of environmental operating permits, licenses and authorizations. Utilizing risk assessments and compliance evaluations, this individual will lead continuous improvement initiatives to minimize environmental aspects and impacts and communicate and implement best practices. You must be an effective communicator and send clear, concise and consistent messages, both verbally and in writing. You must possess proficiency in environmental regulatory knowledge and demonstrate this expertise when working with teams throughout Latin America. You will need to thrive and deliver a strategy for execution across multiple businesses in an ambiguous, fast-paced environment, supported by your leadership team. You should have excellent ownership, and solid leadership engagement skills.
You’re an innovative and passionate leader and you love working with people in the field, also to improve processes and environmental performance. You possess excellent environmental, fire marshal/protection and related compliance requirement knowledge and be able demonstrate this expertise when working with Operations. You thrive working without a script in an emerging market that changes daily. While ambiguity is a norm, you bring vision, prioritization, and integrity. You’re detail oriented. You understand when to own a decision and when to get input from others. You have a strong bias for action; you’re self-starting, tenacious, and results-oriented. You’re willing to roll up your sleeves and do whatever is necessary to meet team goals. People trust and respect you and they like to work with you.
· Manage and execute multi-site responsibilities to comply with air emissions, stormwater, waste, wastewater and other environmental related laws, regulations and permits. This includes required Federal, State and local reporting such as Mexico SEMARNAT and state mandated permit reporting and other required reporting as needed.
· Manage and execute business conformance with Amazon EAP Management Systems policies through effective execution of Amazon Geo-Specific Operational Environmental Procedures.
· Monitor and provide guidance on site performance against applicable environmental regulations, programs and Amazon global policies.
· Ensure site leadership and Associates are trained and knowledgeable of their responsibilities under each policy. Audit the quality, delivery (including qualifications of the trainer), and effectiveness of all required environmental training.
· Provide strategic environmental support and regulatory review for future business growth and expansion.
· Partner with operations support team and the R&D in supporting the change management process.
· Analyze environmental metrics and review weekly and monthly trends to determine where improvements are needed.
· Measure and analyze sites’ performance against published requirements in environmental policies. For all deficiencies, identify a plan for the site to implement and fix all identified deficiencies.
· Insist on the highest standards to ensure protection of business risks.
· Oversee work performed by relevant contractors and consultants.
· Build collaborative relationships with various stakeholders to ensure risks are identified early and managed in a timely manner.
· Conduct risk assessments and audits as necessary.
· Establish project milestones for plan development and permitting at new launch locations or site expansions.
· Assist sites with recordkeeping and periodic reviews to ensure record retention requirements are met.
· Ensure compliance calendar regulatory requirements and Amazon program tasks are current.
· Ensure equipment that requires environmental PMs is appropriately logged and tracked.
· Develop relevant environmental procedures as dictated by business and regulatory needs. Train and monitor to ensure proper execution.
· Assist sites with action plan development for any deficiencies noted from trends, audits and inspections.
· Evaluate and develop process improvements for identified risks.
· Facilitate root cause analyses for all environmental incidents and recommend appropriate corrective actions for network implementation.
· Show initiative to identify and implement corrective actions to eliminate any observed non-compliance or potential non-compliance situations.
– A completed Bachelor’s Degree in civil, chemical or environmental engineering or related field of engineering or science study
– 10+ years of experience serving as an business environmental leader, technical resource, program specialist, and/or program manager
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including comfort interfacing with site and regional leaders
– Must be fluent in Spanish, Portuguese and English (technical, conversational and in writing)
– Must be detailed minded and technically oriented to comfortably deep dive with engineering teams to understand operations process for environmental risk assessment.
– In depth knowledge of Mexican and Brasilian state and federal environmental regulations
– Experience and knowledge with Mexican and Brasilian environmental regulations
– Experience in engaging with Regulatory Agency in permit application
– Experience managing change in multiple site environments and the ability to influence peers and superiors
– Must be willing to travel up to 50%
– Broad knowledge of environmental regulations
– Experience in a printing or manufacturing is preferred
– Experience demonstrating a high level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others and achieve results
– Strong analytical skills with demonstrated problem solving ability·
– Ability to develop and implement department goals and strategies
– Ability to adapt well to fast-paced environments with changing circumstances, direction, and strategy
– Proficient in Microsoft Office and the use of pivot tables and the development of charts and graphics.
Ability to manage multiple sites/remotely.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.